4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 medium (fist sized) onions- 1 yellow and 1 red cut in half from root to stem, sliced thinly
3 Tbsp spice mix: mustard, coriander, cumin, fenugreek, turmeric, and sea salt
Curry powder (madras) (already mix spice)
2 cloves garlic, minced
A small head of cabbage, shredded or chopped (makes about 6 cups)
Freshly ground pepper
½ cup low fat milk
½ cup or 2 ounces tightly packed Swiss cheese (any will do)
1. Heat 4 Tbsp of the olive oil in a large, heavy nonstick pan over medium heat. Add the onions. Stir until they begin to sizzle and soften for about 5 minutes.
2. Add the spices and minced garlic. Stir the ingredients. Lower the heat. Cover and cook slowly for 45 minutes stirring occasionally until the onions are very soft, sweet and lightly browned.
3. Meanwhile, steam the shredded cabbage. Continue to cook for another 15 to 20 minutes, until the cabbage is tender and fragrant. Stir in the onions, simmer together uncovered for about five minutes until there isn’t any liquid in the pan. Remove from the heat.
1. Heat the oven to 350 oF.
2. Oil a 9 or 10 inch pan and line with Mediterranean dough (see recipe).
3. Beat the eggs and milk in a bowl and season with pepper.
4. Stir in the onions, cabbage and cheese. Combine the ingredients together thoroughly. Then pour into the tart pan.
5. Put in the oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.
You can prepare the filling three days in advance and refrigerate in a covered bowl.